Pharmaceutical testing labs make their importance known in every pill someone swallows, every powder a person mixes in water to combat their throbbing headache, and each injection of insulin a diabetic trusts to regulate their blood sugar. The public puts their faith in pharmaceutical testing labs to screen the harmful from the safe, and expects that every medicinal treatment has been carefully monitored to eliminate potential hazards. Simply put, pharmaceutical testing labs make it possible for the public to medicate without fear. The best of the best offer a full-scale catalogue of services. Some of these include:
- Raw material testing Before the pharmaceutical is formulated, it is helpful to test the raw materials to ensure that each one is of high quality. These raw materials work in synergy with each other to make a pharmaceutical that can alleviate a symptom or symptoms, and by making sure each one is of the best quality possible, the highest results can be expected from the finished product.
- Content uniformity Just as with any recipe, pharmaceutical ingredients are required in different quantities in order to achieve a uniform final product. Content uniformity testing ensures that the balance of these quantities remains the same, every time. This ensures a consistent product.
- Disintegration and dissolution – Very important especially in the realm of oral medications, disintegrations and dissolution play a huge part in determining how quickly medicine is absorbed by the human body. To learn timeframes of disintegration and dissolution, pharmaceutical makers contract with pharmaceutical testing labs to learn how quickly their medications will disintegrate and dissolve.
- Impurity characterization If any impurities are suspected, they need to be identified and their health risks considered.
- Method validation The method in which the pharmaceutical is made must be proven to be consistent and effective. If any tweaks need to be made, they must be identified and fixed before consistent approval can be expected.
- Testing of final product Perhaps the most important step of the testing process is the testing of the final product, which results in the proverbial thumbs-up or thumbs-down. The bet pharmaceutical testing labs understand the necessity of looking at the product as a whole before it is released into the marketplace.
The best pharmaceutical labs look at each element of a pharmaceutical. With every medication that delivers upon its promise of pain relief or treatment, pharmaceutical labs continue their reign as important keepers of the publics health treatment.